Sunday, April 15, 2012

Talkin Bout Action Research

Action research is a simple way to approach administrative inquiry where certain practices are examined, questions are asked, and a process is set in place in order to re-define practices. When it seems as if you are not on the right course in your educational goals then taking a look at what the issues are and asking questions regarding the methods used are how an action research is initiated. A process is put into place through the gathering of significant data and getting answers to systematic questions. The application of your research is then up to you. To make a change, a plan is executed and the action is then part of your research. Through application of an intended action, you may find more answers to questions you didn’t even know you had.
Traditional educational research relies on statistics and quantitative data. Traditional research never questions the basics of education and rarely allows for progression. Action research is a proactive method of searching for excellence and not just being satisfied with good. Action research is a self-discovery of what works best that you can find, not necessarily a solution that fits everyone style the best.  Action research tends to find the generalizations and stick to the theoretical, while action research addresses concerns critical to the educator.

2 comments:

  1. The beauty of action research is that it is a way to experiment or field-test strategies or interventions to gain a sense about their value prior to implementing them full scale. Many school leaders and classroom teachers have found this aspect especially beneficial.
    Dr. Mason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually am one that enjoys the process of test and measures. I love the data analysis and collection aspect of academics. This type of research is what I enjoy. I have actually been working on other research and data collection for the past several years concerning my offseason testing program that I created. I have recently began working with Dr. Morales at Lamar University on the data interpretation and the possibility of presenting my research and program at TAHPERD!

    ReplyDelete